My Blog List

Friday, February 13, 2015

Why exercising is worthwhile for college students



Nothing beats that feeling when you put on the headphones, lace up your sneakers, and jog outside to the beautiful scenery of Los Angeles. For me, this is essential to my lifestyle. No matter how busy I am, I make it my mission to find time to exercise before I do anything else.

But what makes exercising worthwhile? If you’re a college student, you can be using your valuable free time to go to the bar with friends, watch TV, or even take a well-deserved nap. If you think those activities are fun and rewarding well let me tell you about one of the best feeling the world…The Runners High.

In my past experiences working out, my “Runners High” gives me a feeling of euphoria. Scientifically, the act of cardio fitness triggers the release of anandamide, which is a neurotransmitter of the brain that creates a similar sensation to the effects of marijuana.

This feeling is like no other, as you feel accomplished and invincible while standing on top of a mountain overlooking LA.


Image by alltrails.com


Exercise can even contribute to a higher performance in the classroom! According to an article written by the American Intercontinental University, exercise can have the following benefits among college students.
1.     Exercise stimulates brain development
2.     Exercise improves memory retention
3.     Exercise increases focus and concentration
4.     Exercise boosts mood
5.     Exercise relieves stress

You can even be social while running. Having a running partner is a great way to keep you motivated and stay active. This principle is based on the theory of social facilitation that is if you exercise around other people, you are more likely to push yourself harder to stay at the same pace.

Try it out! Los Angeles has beautiful hiking trails, beach paths, and plenty more for you to explore with friends and go exercise.






No comments:

Post a Comment